Monday, February 6, 2012

"I eat meat, but I won't kill it."

"I WILL BUY MY MEAT AND EAT IT, BUT I WON'T KILL (AN ANIMAL) FOR IT"

These are the exact words that heard over the new year. It was late at night and I was playing cards with some friends in a hotel. Some random guy, about my age, took a seat by us and joined. We got to talking and somehow we landed on the topic of agriculture. That is when I heard him say:

"I will buy meat from the store and eat it, but I won't kill an animal for it. That is just wrong."

This simply blew my mind; I was slightly appalled. We talked about it for a while and discussed how he could possibly say such a thing. He said that he had seen the movie "Food Inc." and believed that all animals being raised for consumption were being mistreated. At this time, I could probably be seen picking my jaw up off the floor.

Where do people get their information about where their food comes from? How come people are willing to buy there food from the grocery store, completely disconnected from its origins, but be appalled by what farmers do; or even dislike the simple notion that you must actually kill an animal before it can be consumed?

Talking with this individual for a while, I discovered that he could not be to blame for these misconceptions. He had searched several sources about the issues "Food Inc." addressed. It was at that moment I realized that with the internet, people will find what they want to find, regardless of its truth or accuracy.

This poses a huge issue, that I believe WE can solve. As agriculturalists, how do we get the basic information about where our food comes from to the consumer? What are YOU doing to break through this barrier?


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Seems to me the guy was saying he didn't want to know the details of where the meat came from and/or how it was slaughtered/processed. I think this is a common reaction when folks begin to think about the origin of all kinds of things, whether it's their cell phones or inexpensive clothing that were likely produced overseas by underpaid workers in not-so-great working conditions or meat that came about because an animal was killed... I'm not sure it makes a difference to most people HOW that animal was raised or killed... they just don't want to think about it.

As to your question about what to do about helping people understand where their food comes from, I would ask you to consider this:

Temple Grandin is an adcovate for opening up the slaughter houses to everyone... cameras and all... she says it's about time people saw where their meat comes from.. it might not be pretty, but it would show the world that the slaughterhouses have nothing to hide... (and keep in mind that Temple is a huge advocate for animal agriculture...)

In order for people to eat meat, animals have to die. No getting around that. Our grandparents knew that and we know that on some level, but very few people are comfortable with the idea. I'm not entirely sure I would eat much meat if I had to kill the animal myself.

...just sayin'...

So... don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing against animal agriculture or eating meat. I'm just suggesting that trying to educate people about how humanely animals are treated before we kill them for their meat may not have the effect you are hoping it will.One either has come to terms with it, or one has not. The guy you are referring to in your story seems to have come to terms with it by figuring that, yes, he likes meat, and yes, he wants to continue to eat it, but no, he doesn't want to be the one that kills and butchers the animal. Not so very unlike the vast majority of Americans, IMHO.

Food for thought. Thanks for letting me add my two cents.

Post a Comment